In this post, we will discuss what is a career in digital marketing. Marketing refers to any activities that a company uses to promote its products and services and improve its market share.
In order to be successful, marketing requires a combination of advertising savvy, sales, and the ability to deliver goods to end-users. This is normally undertaken by specific professionals or marketers who can work internally (for companies) or externally with other marketing firms.
What Is Digital Marketing?
The term digital marketing refers to the use of digital channels to market products and services in order to reach consumers. This type of marketing involves the use of websites, mobile devices, social media, search engines, and other similar channels. Digital marketing became popular with the advent of the internet in the 1990s.
Digital marketing involves some of the same principles as traditional marketing and is often considered a new way for companies to approach consumers and understand their behavior. Companies often combine traditional and digital marketing techniques in their strategies.
Types of Digital Marketing
Commonly used digital marketing techniques include:
- social media marketing – developing a distinct online presence by attracting high numbers of internet followers through social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.
- search engine optimization (SEO) – developing strategies to increase the number of visitors to a website by achieving high-ranking placements in search results.
- pay-per-click (PPC) campaigns – sponsored online advertising paid for by the business to appear alongside non-paid search results.
- mobile marketing – includes app-based, in-game, location-based, and SMS marketing.
- affiliate marketing – where a business allows other businesses (affiliates) to sell products on their website. The affiliate is paid a commission for each customer brought to the website by their own marketing strategies.
A career in Digital Marketing
What jobs can you do with digital marketing? As one of the choicest specializations in the digital era, Digital Marketing offers a plethora of career opportunities for students and professionals from all backgrounds from creative to technical. Here are the top career opportunities in Digital Marketing:
Digital Marketing Manager
A Digital Marketing Manager plans digital marketing campaigns across varied media, such as social media, SEO/SEM, advertising, e-mail campaigns, etc. They also monitor and strategize all the digital marketing campaigns and optimize them continuously to ensure the highest revenues and reach.
An SEO Specialist has the central role of optimizing a website to attain higher search engine rankings and has an in-depth understanding of how to get the highest traffic from all search engines. They also design strategies and plans for enhancing the website rankings across search engines.
Social Media Manager
A Social Media Manager handles the social media channels of a company or a brand and curates the requisite social media strategies for content, marketing, and building the best online presence for the brand.
Content Marketing Specialist
A Content Marketing Specialist curates the brand’s story in a unique and appealing manner to capture the audience and handles all the major digital media channels for content broadcast, be it blogs, social media, advertisements, website content, and more!
Pay Per Click or SEM Analyst
SEM or Pay per Click Analyst mainly assesses the website traffic to integrate it with campaign tracking as well as all elements of online marketing, search analytics, and SEO, amongst others.
SEO Content Writer
An SEO Content Writer carries out the research for the trending and industry-related topics and curates all the online content like blogs, social media copy, website content, adverts, and more along with integrating SEO insights, keywords, etc. Here is our complete handbook for How to Become a Content Writer!
Other than these, some more popular digital marketing jobs and careers are:
- Web developer/designer
- Analytics Manager
- CRM Manager
- Email Marketing Manager
- E-commerce Manager
- Digital Agency Account Director
Digital Marketing Salary
For many people, it’s the salary that makes a good career, and digital marketing salaries are more than competitive.
In a recent industry survey by Credo, they found that the average rate for digital marketing consultants worldwide is $140 per hour.
What skills do you need to become a digital marketer?
1. SEO (Search engine optimization)
Search engine optimization or SEO is structuring your content to show up on search engine websites (Google, Bing, Yahoo). Marketers will try to ‘rank’ a certain word or phrase relevant to their business so their potential customers will find them. This is called organic traffic. It’s essential to know SEO if you want to become a successful digital marketer.
Popular SEO job roles: SEO Specialist, SEO Analyst, Content Writer, Link Builder, SEO Consultant, etc.
2. PPC (pay-per-click)
Let’s say you typed “Shoes on sale.” What do you see?
You probably found a pay-per-click sponsored ad with shoes on sale and, in most cases, are companies like Adidas, Nike, and Under Armour. Marketers will pay to have their products or services show up when searching for what they offer. Marketers will use platforms like Google, Adroll, or Bing to reach their potential customers.
You’ll see a sponsored ad on social media, Youtube, or a random website. All of these are examples of paid ads.
Pay-per-click advertising has many areas like search, display, social media, remarketing, sequential, and Google shopping.
Now, what jobs are there?
Popular PPC job roles: PPC Specialist, PPC Analyst, Google Ads Specialist, and Social Media Marketer.
3. Social media marketing
What is the first thing you do when you go to Instagram? You scroll down and maybe “like” a post or comment on it. Soon, you encounter a brand that talks about similar products.
So, you check them out and see what the fuss is about. That’s social media marketing. It introduces the brand to you on social media and tries to drive traffic to the website, and turn you into a customer.
What types of social media jobs do businesses use?
Popular SMM job roles: Content Marketer, Social Media Specialist, Social Media Analyst, Public Relations, Brand Manager, and Social Media Strategist.
4. Email marketing
You probably signed up to get the latest updates, promotions, coupons, and so on through email. That’s one kind of email marketing. This is great for a business to continue building customer relationships and acquiring sales.
According to consultancy, email marketing contributes 23% of the company’s total sales. That is HUGE!
And by the way, email marketing is one of the highest-paying jobs. According to The Muse, the average salary is roughly around $102,588 a year.
Popular email marketing job roles: Email marketing jobs include Email Marketing Specialist, Email Marketing Expert, Email Marketing Manager, and Email Marketing Coordinator.
More and more opportunities for jobs like these are becoming available as people spend more time online. And the internet is constantly evolving, presenting new challenges and opportunities to these marketers. Now, if that excites you, you’re on the right track.
What are the pros and cons of a digital marketer?
- Youthful career: digital marketing is still relatively new. According to Linkedin, the industry is growing every year, paying a living wage, and has the greatest number of job openings.
- High demand: Every business needs digital marketers to attract and retain customers. Do you know what that means? Digital marketing is the most in-demand career in 2022.
- Location freedom: Yes, that is correct! You can become a digital nomad. You can literally work from anywhere. All you need is a laptop and an internet connection.
- Flexibility: You can work depending on projects or hours. It comes down to what you want.
- Pay grade: According to Glassdoor, as a digital marketing manager, you can make roughly $72,015 a year
If you are passionate about the profession of digital marketing, you will not find it difficult to overcome these cons:
- System & patience: You need structure. Many digital marketers with no structure eventually fail. What do you mean by structure? You must have actionable goals. And with actionable goals, you need to know that results don’t show up immediately. For example, when optimizing the SEO of a website, results may take three to six months to take place.
- Fast evolving technology: If you’re comfortable using a tool and it becomes out of date, don’t be surprised. Technology evolves and changes. Regardless, adapting to change is crucial to becoming a successful digital marketer.
- Always learning: Learning doesn’t stop when you graduate college; it’s just beginning for digital marketers. You have to keep learning every single day. New technology, new strategies, and new industries will break you or make you better.
How to get a job in digital marketing:
1. Get hands-on marketing experience
2. Create an online portfolio
3. Build an impressive personal brand
4. Get published
5. Master the art of interviews
Starting a career in digital marketing is a great choice. There is increased demand for digital marketing professionals worldwide, the salary is good (depending on experience) and it’s a job you can do on your own as a freelancer or by joining a digital marketing agency.
If you are starting out now, your first concern should be to build your skills. Digital marketing is not a ‘single thing that you learn by taking a course and then getting to work.
There are many disciplines that make up digital marketing and you should be an expert in all of them if you want to reach the higher end of the pay scale.
The best way to learn digital marketing is to practice on your own website. Create a blog and start writing content. Spend time mastering SEO and then move on to Google Ads and Facebook marketing.
FAQ About What is a career in digital marketing?
Is digital marketing a good career?
Yes, digital marketing is of course a well-paid job. The average salary of a digital marketer at an executive-level position lies between INR 2,50,000 to 5,00,000. And the average highest starting salary at a manager’s level is between INR 8,00,000 to 10,00,000
Is digital marketing a hard job?
Digital marketing requires a combination of diverse and challenging skills. A hard skill is an ability that’s easily observed and measured. Anyone can see whether or not you can perform a hard skill. Some hard skills are necessary for all digital marketers, regardless of which specific job you’re in.
Where is the best place to study digital marketing?
- Digital Marketing Career Blueprint.
- LinkedIn Learning.
- Fundamentals of Digital Marketing by Google.
- HubSpot Content Marketing Course.